The 2020 club tournament was held for mens and ladies singles, mens and ladies doubles, and mixed doubles. Results.
The Mens Singles Ladder
When interpreting the rules, below, consider that we will wish to keep the ladder moving, will wish to finish matches in one go, will need to fit in with the booking (and COVID-19) rules and, always, that we aim to be a friendly and inclusive club.
Joining the Ladder
- Members of the club can join or leave the singles ladder by a request on the club WhatsApp group. Contact any committee member if you wish to be added to this group
- The ladder is unisex
Challenges and Matches
- Anyone on the ladder can challenge anyone else any number of places above or below themselves on the ladder
- All results should be communicated via, for example WhatsApp, and will become publicly available
- If the winner of a challenge was in the lower position on the ladder then the two players swap positions. Thus it is possible that one can go from the top to the bottom, or bottom to top, or anywhere else, in one move.
- A time for the match can be any time daylight permits after 9am (neighbours). It must be scheduled for a 90 minute slot, using the club’s court booking system.
- A back-to-back challenge may be declined. This applies if neither player has since played anyone else
- There are no punishments or forfeits. Members are asked to find mutually suitable times. If a player believes they do not have the time to be fair to others on the ladder they should notify the match secretary who can either remove them from the ladder or, if they wish, “shelter” them at the bottom of the ladder for a period.
- Matches will adhere to LTA and club guidance on COVID-19 safety
- If time permits the match will be best of three sets. The first two sets will have tie breakers at 6-6. There will be a first to 10 tie breaker if one set all is reached
- If time does not permit then the total number of games will count. Hence a 6-4 0-3 unfinished situation would be a 6-7 win for the player one set down.
- Given all the issues about time pressure all games should have a single point deuce
The club has a men’s doubles side in the Plymouth and District League. There is no news of when or if competitive tennis will start in the 2020 season.